So based on research and suggestions from green-thumbed friends the list of 5 (plus 1) was developed.
1. Snake plant: The snake plant, also known as “mother-in-law’s tongue”, is a popular houseplant known for its striking appearance, low-maintenance care, and air-purifying properties.
Native to tropical West Africa, snake plants are characterized by their upright, sword-like leaves that come in a variety of vibrant colors, including deep green, yellow, and cream. These hardy succulents can thrive in various indoor conditions, making them an excellent choice for both novice and experienced plant enthusiasts.
This low-maintenance succulent is perfect for those who forget to water their plants. It can tolerate low light conditions and must only be watered every few weeks with some sun and occasional water.
2. Aloe Plants: This succulent is not only beautiful, but it is also a valuable first-aid remedy. The gel inside the leaves can be used to soothe burns, cuts, and insect bites.
3. Peace Lilies: This interesting plant is known for its air-purifying properties. Not only will this plant help freshen the air in your home all year long, but its flowers will also be a welcome sight each summer.
4. Pothos: This versatile plant can be grown in a variety of conditions, including low light and dry air. It is also a fast grower, so you can enjoy its greenery all winter long.
5. Christmas Cactus: Is also known as Schlumbergera ×buckleyi, is a popular houseplant known for its vibrant blooms that typically appear around the holiday season. Native to the tropical rainforests of Brazil, this succulent is characterized by its flattened, segmented stems that resemble leaves. During the winter months, the plant produces stunning flowers in a variety of colors, including pink, red, white, and purple.
My Christmas Cactus is fairly old and blooms whenever it feels like it. Not sure if it’s trying to confuse me or just making my day more colorful.
Finally, I’m throwing in a 6th plant and my favorite: “The ZZ plant”
ZZ plant: This hardy plant is nearly indestructible. It can tolerate low light, dry air, and even infrequent watering.