We’ve been lucky this year!
So far-“knock on wood” we’ve escaped severe weather this year. Other parts of the country haven’t been as lucky. No shaking flashlights with dead batteries or trying to manually lift automatic garage doors in the dark.
Maybe it’s the time of the year to adopt the Scouts’ Motto “Be Prepared” before outages or bad weather hits our area.
- Ensure flashlights, lanterns, and other battery-driven electronics have functioning batteries.
- Don’t store your batteries in the freezer (or fridge) because if the power goes out the last thing you want to do is open the fridge or freezer doors.
- Break down and purchase at least a backup battery for your sump pump.
- Most electronic garage door openers have a backup battery. However, figuring out in the dark how to operate is another story. I discovered reading directions with lights on is much easier to do.
- Homes today rely on so many electronics you might want to consider purchasing a backup generator for your home. Don’t wait until everybody needs one- generators can be hard to find when bad weather hits.
We’ve been lucky this year and hopefully, it will continue through until next summer. In the meantime “Be Prepared”!