December temperatures in the greater Cincinnati area are starting to drop. Colder weather with its single-digit temps increases the possibility of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas; you may not even be aware of a problem in your home until it is too late.
Frequenting occurring symptoms are:
- Symptoms that mimic the flu
Not easy to spot in greater Cincinnati with the number of people currently suffering from a variety of flu-like symptoms with runny noses. Long-term exposure can lead to other symptoms such as vomiting, chest pain and confusion, serious medical problems, and even death.
Poisonings from carbon monoxide are especially common during spells of cold weather when the usage of coal, gas, and oil furnaces and appliances increases. Any place you’re living should have carbon monoxide detectors and this is a good time to check batteries and add detectors if you’ve added on to your home or condo.
If the detector alarms trigger- get out of the property immediately prior to calling 911.
Quick tips to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Install a CO alarm inside your home near all sleeping areas and test it monthly.
- Place the CO alarm at least 15 feet away from any fuel-burning appliances.
- Have gas, oil, or coal-burning appliances, chimneys, and fireplaces checked by a professional every year.
- Do not use a kitchen stove or oven to heat your home.
- Never use a grill, generator, or camping stove inside your home, garage, or basement.
- Do not leave your car or motorcycle engine running inside a garage, even with the doors open.