Sound familiar? Doors and windows shut tight against the freezing cold. The temperatures in the greater Cincinnati dropped into single digits ushering in freezing weather and increased possibilities for Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas and you may not even be aware there is a problem in your home until it is too late. Frequenting symptoms include:
It’s not easy to detect in greater Cincinnati with the number of people currently suffering from flu-like symptoms. Long-term exposure can lead to other symptoms such as vomiting, chest pain and confusion, serious medical problems and even death. Poisonings from carbon monoxide are especially common during spells of cold weather when the usage of coal, gas and oil furnaces and appliances increases.
Any place you’re living should have carbon monoxide detectors and this is a good time to check batteries and add detectors if you’ve added on to your home or condo. If the detector alarms trigger- get out of the property immediately prior to calling 911.
Stay safe this winter